Dublin – Irish Health Minister James Reilly said the Government’s new health insurance plan would not cover people with preexisting conditions.
“It is not going to cover people that are sick, that are suffering, that have not had the medical attention they need,” Mr Reilly told RTÉ’s Today with Sean O’Rourke on Sunday.
“If you are sick and you need medical treatment, it’s not going in the plan.”
Mr Reilly also said the new policy would not include a cap on the amount people could be insured.
“We are not looking to change any existing insurance arrangements, so people can continue to get what they are entitled to,” he said.
The announcement comes as Ireland’s Health Minister has called on the European Union to change its laws in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic.
The European Commission has warned that Ireland’s proposed new system of health insurance will mean the country is likely to be underfunded in the future.
Mr Reilly said his Government had been in discussions with the EU about the issue and was considering whether it would be appropriate to introduce a new insurance scheme in the coming months.
“In light of the changes to our current insurance arrangements that are now coming to us, we will be consulting with the European Commission on the way forward,” he added.
“The issue of future health insurance arrangements in Ireland is a matter for the Government and I look forward to getting the right answers to it.”
Health Minister James the last Minister of Health (MHP) was a former Labour politician.